Talking about Baccarat means talking about one of the most prestigious card games in casinos around the world, capable of seducing thanks to a very entertaining game dynamic for the player.
It is a game of European origins, which emerged as an alternative to blackjack, although the main difference with blackjack lies in the number of points required to win the game: 21 in blackjack, 9 in Baccarat. However, it is not a game against the bank, as it happens in blackjack, but in Baccarat, you can bet in three different ways: in favor of the player, in favor of the bank, or for the tie.
The first thing to know is the value of the cards in Baccarat:
- The Ace is worth 1 point
- The cards from 2 to 9 have the value indicated in each one
- The 10, the J, the Q or the K are worth 0 points
If the sum of the two cards exceeds ten points, ten is subtracted: that means that if, for example, the bank receives a six and a nine it will have a total of 5 points (15 – 10 = 5); if your cards are a ten and a J, the total sum is 0 points; or if you have two nines, in total there are 8 points (18 – 10 = 8).
Then comes the development of the game: the dealer deals two cards to the player and another two to the bank. The player with the highest cards wins the game. However, although it is a very simple game, there are several rules: depending on the number of the player or the bank, the dealer will deal a third card.
Third card rules in Baccarat
The best thing about Baccarat is that neither the player nor the bank must decide for themselves whether they want to receive a third card or not: the rules of the game already determine whether the dealer must deal that additional card to one, the other or both.
- If the banker or player has an 8 or 9 point hand, they stand, and this rule is above all others, without exception.
- If the player has a 6 or 7 hand, he will not receive any more cards. In that case, if the bank has 5 points or less, it receives a third card.
- If the player has a total of 5 or less, he will have one more card. In that case, the bank will also receive another card, depending on their score and the card the player receives. As it is a complex situation, it is not necessary to explain all the possibilities. However, it is important to know that the dealer knows all the options perfectly and will automatically act on the game.
Tips for playing Baccarat
Baccarat is a game that depends entirely on luck, so the only decision we have to make is to bet on the player, on the bench or on the draw. But, although it is one of the games in which chance is more important, there are some tips for playing Baccarat that can make us win important prizes.
The first thing to know is that this game is one of the least advantageous to the casino. If we bet on banking, the casino advantage is only 1.06 percent; if we bet on the player, the advantage of the casino amounts to 1.24 percent. However, all casinos, both physical and online, apply a 5 percent commission on winning bets by betting on the bank, so it is more beneficial in the long term to bet on the player’s hand.